If you’re looking for excitingly easy family breakfast ideas that are sure to please even your pickiest eater, you’ve come to the right place! This fun and flavorful breakfast casserole recipe mixes your favorite comfort foods into one melt-in-your-mouth morning masterpiece. After all, what could beat a breakfast casserole with tater tots and sausage gravy, mixed with cheesy scrambled eggs, and topped with chicken tenders? The simple answer is nothing, so let out your inner child and give it a go!
Chicken & Tots Breakfast Casserole
3 tbsp Butter
1 cup milk
1 pound breakfast sausage
3 cups of sausage gravy (recipe below)
2 cups cheddar jack blend cheese
1 pound bag of tots
1 bag of chicken tenders, fully cooked
1 shaker of Wildwood’s All-Purpose seasoning
For the best result, this comfort food casserole must be cooked at a temperature of 375 degrees with copious amounts of love.
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
- In a bowl, crack the eggs, add 1 cup of milk, and whisk until it is fluffy.
- In skillet on medium to high heat, let 2 tbs of butter melt.
- Pour the whipped eggs into the skillet and stir constantly with a rubber spatula until the scrambled eggs are light, fluffy, and fully cooked.
- Set aside and let cool.
- Using a stick of butter, rub all sides and the bottom of a 9×13 casserole pan.
- Arrange the bag of tots on bottom of your pan, leaving as little space between them as possible.
- Evenly spread the cooked sausage over the top of the tots.
- Cover the cooked sausage with 1 cup of cheese.
- Add an even layer of scrambled eggs.
- Give a healthy shake of Wildwood All-Purpose seasoning over the casserole.
- Spread 3 cups of sausage gravy over the eggs.
- Top with another 1 cup of cheese.
- Arrange your chicken strips on top, spacing them evenly.
- Bake covered with tin foil for 30-40 minutes or until the chicken tenders reach an internal temperature of 165 degrees.
- Tear open the foil on top, serve with a spoon, and enjoy!
4 tbsp butter
1 pound sausage gravy
½ cup flour
1 tbsp black pepper
1 tsp chicken base
3 cups milk
- In a skillet on medium heat, stir the butter and sausage with a wooden spoon to crumble.
- Once fully cooked and crumbled, add flour to the pan and reduce heat to low.
- Stir together sausage, oil, and flour until combined.
- Slowly add the milk, stirring until the flour mixture thins and makes a smooth, creamy mixture.
- Add black pepper and chicken base, mix well. If you feel it is too thick, add a little water.
- Hold hot and serve.
It is the most important meal of the day, but it doesn’t have to be boring. Embrace your wild side! Put your trust in us and enjoy this perfect breakfast casserole recipe so you and your family can start your day the wild way! Watch our blog for more recipes from Chef Jim, updates about what’s new, and special events. Pick up Wildwood’s All-Purpose seasoning at either Wildwood location, Fareway in Byron, Destination Bar-B-Q in Rochester, or save yourself a trip and order Wildwood seasonings online!